Sunday, September 02, 2007

They have every right for a vengeance!


Okay Merdeka Day Here we go!


Once upon a time when I was growing up, the "Mamak", or Indian muslims were the brunt of every racial slurs and jokes that you can possibly imagine. I attended the Princess Road School, then to Batu Road School then to Maxwell School.
At all these three schools that I have attended, the "mamak" suffered from the Malays and I am glad I am not one of them since my best friendwas a mamak by the name of Rauf. he lived near Ipoh Road.
When I asked my father why mamak were the brunt of racial slurs he could not give me a good answer and said he did not know. Even at an early age I have never like racial joke and being from Negeri Sembilan those bastards in Kampung Baru always mocked me by saying if they can marry my sister since it is cheap to marry a Negeri girl. So you live with this trauma and grow up hating something but on the whole you grew up with a very strong resolve.
The mamak, I always thought were not even victim of circumstances like the Jews in Germany pre-Hitler as the Germans perceived them as being on control of the economy.
The Malays of yesteryear were mean, especially the Malays from Kampung Baru. Outsiders who venture into the village will be beaten up, Indians or Chinese dare not step into the boundary of Kampung Baru unless they have a "death wish".
Rauf and I used to collect paper umbrellas after a football game at TPCA, and were the best of friends, but somehow I always detect the sadness in his eyes when we talked about what we will do when we grow up. This posting came about after a friend told me of his passing, and I am happy to remember that I have never call him with any mamak derogatory term, but we called each other names he called me Melayu puk%i mak, and I call him Mamak puk%i mak, but never in public!
Rauf and I, we hang out at Federal and Capitol Cinemas after school selling black market cinema tickets in full knowledge of the taiko there by the name of Rais, he died in an accident. For the 65cents ticket we will it for 75cents, then we split up the profit.
Back to mamak and Negeri taunting, today Rauf is gone, may he rest in peace, and today the mamak is back with a vengeance, they controlled the government civil service, a lot of director-generals of government ministries are mamaks, and they are aware of their upbringing to be where they are today one became a Prime Minister, so Rauf we have lost touch but the news of your passing reached me and I will pray for you! But Rauf did you remember what we did with all the paper umbrellas that we collected at the TPCA stadium? Yes, we gave them to the Sikh temple near the wet market in Kampung Baru in exchange for that delicious chappati and curry. May you rest in peace my friend, and you should know and be proud that your race is doing well!

Shalom!

1 comment:

AHIRUDIN ATTAN said...

never heard of anyone selling cinema tickets in the black market for pocket money. good for you, pasquale, but i do hope you have stopped doing it.
sad to hear of your friend rauf. quite a buddy, by the things i read here. life is short, man, what the hell. you think that delicious chappati is still there?